[CSS21] Issue 159 (margin collapsing)

From: Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 08:42:45 +0200
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
 From the Minutes and Resolutions 2010-10-27:[1]

>   http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css2.1#issue-159

>   RESOLVED: Proposal accepted for CSS2.1 Issue 159 with Bert's
>             "no padding or margin areas" change and "drop 'vertical'"
>             changes; fantasai to write example clarifying adjoining

I object to this resolution, for several of the reasons given in [2]
(which have not been responded to).  The most serious of these is that
one of the "consequences of the rules" that is preserved in the proposed
text is no longer true under the new formulation of the rules.

(Note that I am very much in favour of the approach taken in the
proposal; the problem is that it is not yet watertight.)

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Oct/0842.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Sep/0698.html

Cheers,
Anton Prowse