Re: [css3-transitions] In transition-property: all, <property>, is <property> a duplicate ?

On Oct 27, 2010, at 2:01 PM, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 2010-10-27 20:33 +0000, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
>>> From: Chris Marrin [mailto:cmarrin@apple.com]

>>> I mean that if you were to say:
>>>
>>>    transition-property: width, none, height;
>>>    transition-duration: 1s, 1000000s, 2s;
>>>
>>> you'd get a transition just on height and it would occur over 2s.
>>> Similarly, if you say:
>>>
>>>    transition-property: width, none, all, height;
>>>    transition-duration: 1s, 2s, 3s, 4s;
>>>
>>> you'd get a transition of 3s on all properties except height, which
>>> would transition over 4s.
>>>
>> That is my expectation as well i.e. none/all override all the transitions
>> that come before them in the property list. Subsequent properties can
>> then declare expections to none/all.
>>
>> And if you have 'none,none' or 'all,all', normal dupe handling also
>> happens so the last one wins.
>
> I'd have expected that overriding for 'all', since it "matches" all
> properties, and the last one wins, but I wouldn't have expected that
> overriding for 'none' since it matches no properties.

Hmm. I've always thought of 'none' as meaning "I don't want anything to animate". But I get your interpretation from a CSS matching standpoint. I guess it could go either way. But I do like the symmetry of my interpretation.

With your interpretation 'none' would simply be a placeholder and would never affect the set of transitions. That could be useful. I would be fine with either interpretation.

~Chris
chris@marrin.com