Re: [CSS21] Issue 142: the term "ancestor box"

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 15:19:56 +0200, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:

> This is proposed text for issue 142[1]. Section 10.1 uses the term
> "ancestor box," by which it means the "box of an ancestor element." But
> apparently the term causes confusion. That is probably because in some
> cases and in some implementations the boxes form a tree. (CSS doesn't
> say that the boxes form a tree, only that each box is associated with an
> element and the elements form a tree.)
>
> So here is a rewrite to avoid the term. The following all occur in
> section 10.1:

There's also "In the case that the ancestor is an inline box".

>   - Replace the first occurrence of "ancestor box" by "ancestor
>     element".

An element doesn't have a content edge, a box does. The assumption here
seems to be that an element cannot generate more than one block container
box. I guess that might be true in level 2, but it seems like a statement
that level 3 specs can very easily end up breaking...

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA