RE: [css3-multicol] new editor's draft

From: Shelby Moore <shelby@coolpage.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 21:34:21 -0400
To: shelby@coolpage.com
Cc: "Sylvain Galineau" <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "Håkon Wium Lie" <howcome@opera.com>, "Alex Mogilevsky" <alexmog@microsoft.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
[snip]

> Afaics, he didn't specify the multicol element, so I can not answer his
> question with one answer, because I don't know what the height and width
> constraints are, if any.
>
> I don't see any constraints if we go back to Håkon's first example (which
> btw did not have a {align:center} on the span), except that he constrained
> it to 3 columns, so I don't understand why we are putting any thing in the
> inline direction for overflow?
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Oct/0591.html

[snip]

And now looking back at Håkon's example and seeing that the column count
is constrained to 3 and the height is not constrained, then I see he is
correct the span goes underneath.

But I don't understand why he made that example in the context of overflow
(which is probably why I ignored the column count constraint), which is
what we were debating about?

Afaics, he has no overflow in that example.

Could someone please make a completely specified example, that we can
discuss and for which there is overflow?