Re: [css3-multicol] new editor's draft

From: Shelby Moore <shelby@coolpage.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 19:28:27 -0400
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: "Håkon Wium Lie" <howcome@opera.com>, "Alex Mogilevsky" <alexmog@microsoft.com>, www-style@w3.org
[snip]

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> And you can't put it underneath in the current spec, because all
>> overflow
>> must go in the inline direction.  See section 8.2.
>
> Yes, this would require a change to the spec.

I was only partially correct on that point.  That applies because we were
originally discussing an overflow case for spanning, but in the general
case of a {column-span:all} that follows some column breaks where the
height is not constrained, then the next row of columns can go underneath.

This has no bearing on my other orthogonal point, which I re-iterate is
the spec currently makes no restriction on where in the vertical (block)
direction content may span prior columns.