Re: [css3-writing-modes] a third option for implementing logical properties

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 10:40:26 +0200
To: koba Mobile2 <koba@antenna.co.jp>
Cc: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, www-style@w3.org, howcome@opera.com
Also sprach koba Mobile2:

 > > And calling folks incompetent doesn't help either.
 > I apologize the point, since my english is very poor.

Apology accepted.

Indeed, as others have pointed out, my concern is with devices that
are constrained in terms of memory. And even on the desktop, people
are very concerned about memory. People typically have lots of web
pages open, and if each new page uses more memory, users will notice.
This is a topic of interest to many. Some randomly chosen studies:

Therefore, I think we should not rush into property-duplication
scenarios without evalutaing costs, benefits, and alternative

It is probably worth noting that CSS comes from a minimalist
background compared to, say, DSSSL and XSL. I have found it meaningful
to compare the approaches taken by different style sheet languages: