Re: [css3-writing-modes] horizontal-bt writing mode

On 10/25/2010 01:32 AM, John Daggett wrote:
> fantasai wrote:
>
>>> Looking over the current CSS3 Writing Modes spec, I'm puzzling over
>>> what writing-mode 'horizontal-bt' is needed for?  It's defined as:
>>>
>>>     "Bottom-to-top block flow. The writing mode is horizontal."
>>>
>>> What's the script that requires this?  Or is it just there for
>>> completeness?
>>>
>>>     http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-writing-modes/#writing-mode
>>
>> It's just there for completeness. MS requested that such a mode exist
>> since they implement it (for completeness, and because given all the
>> other modes, they thought it was easy).
>
> If block-progression and direction are defined as in the IE Blog post,
> then I could see that it would fall out from having two independent
> properties.  But with a single property, I don't think it's needed for
> completeness so I would suggest dropping it.  It may be easy to
> implement but features that serve no purpose add time to testing
> and conformance requirements.

I don't particularly care either way, but at this early stage in the
draft, I think it's better to leave it in. When we're closer to CR,
we can discuss what to keep and what to drop and what to mark at-risk.
I'm happy to mark it as an issue, though.

I will say, Behdad's cell phone use case is interesting.

~fantasai