Re: [css3-writing-modes] direction vs. writing mode in markup vs. style

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 5:59 AM, John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 3:11 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>
>>   (The 'direction' property does not actually belong in CSS: it exists
>>   in CSS in order to allow the HTML 'dir' attribute's functionality
>>   for raw XML documents. This use case probably should have been
>>   addressed with an xml:dir attribute rather than with CSS.)
>
> Hmm.  Do you want the XML Core WG to take up the idea?  We own the
> xml: namespace, and we aren't that busy these days.

That actually sounds good in general, though see the discussion in the
HTMLWG surrounding the changes suggested by the "Additional
Requirements for bidi in HTML" group.

(This does bring up potentially painful issues similar to @lang vs
xml:lang, or charset handling, but if it's handled in a similar way it
will at least be usable.)