Re: [css3-multicol] new editor's draft

On 10/25/2010 12:15 AM, Shelby Moore wrote:
> Shelby Moore wrote:
>
> And we may need a column-span:all-not-before?
>
> Tangentially, the current spec does not seem to support spanning only 2
> columns, such as when wanting to float an image or quotation straddling 2
> columns and have the inline content flow around it (float:right on the
> left colum and float:left on the right column).

This capability existed in older versions of the spec. It was removed
because it is easier to implement spanning all columns than to implement
spanning only some columns. The intent was to reintroduce the feature
in css4-multicol.

The behavior of overflow columns in conjunction with column-span: all
makes me wonder, though, if it's really that much easier, since the
newly-required rendering is very similar to implementing partial spans.

~fantasai