Re: [css3-multicol] new editor's draft

From: Shelby Moore <shelby@coolpage.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 19:56:10 -0400
To: shelby@coolpage.com
Cc: "Håkon Wium Lie" <howcome@opera.com>, "Alex Mogilevsky" <alexmog@microsoft.com>, www-style@w3.org
[snip]

> Håkon Wium Lie wrote
>> However, if we specify that 'column-span: all' in an overflow area
>> just takes the element back in, underneath the content that has
>> already been laid out, and stretches across the columns inside the
>> multicol box, it seems doable. No?
>
> Why should go underneath? Rather we must do what the designer specificed,
> and it should span all the three columns at the top.
>
>       Copyright © 1900-2000000000000
>      Menu    | main article | another
>      item 1  | text and so  | box with
>      item 2  | forth just   | some
>      item 3  | some words   | content
>              | you know     | over here

It spans at the top because the Copyright © 1900-2000000000000 was pushed
to the top of the next column box in inline direction. It can't be at the
bottom because there were column breaks that terminated those prior 3
column boxes.  I am arguing that we remain consistent.  The column span
block direction position is based on the position of the spanning element.