[CSS21] groove vs. outset with border-collapse / border-conflict-style-XXX tests

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 00:42:19 -0700
To: Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
CC: public-css-testsuite@w3.org, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On 10/18/2010 08:44 AM, Øyvind Stenhaug wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 18:51:27 +0200, Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
> wrote:
>
>> 4)
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/border-conflict-style-074.htm
>>

>> Incorrect pass condition. Per the spec 'outset' takes preference over
>> 'groove', but the pass condition expects the opposite.
>
> Actually, I see now that it isn't invalid since outset and groove are
> supposed to be the same for border-collapse = collapse.

Hm, that's actually a spec clarification issue. I believe, from the border
conflict section, that 'outset' and 'groove' are distinct styles. Otherwise
they wouldn't be listed separately. (Note this section only applies to
collapsed borders.)

The list of styles at the end of the Tables chapter should say "drawn the
same as" instead of "same as".

> However, this does mean that it's really testing that outset=groove, not
> border conflict resolution. And there is another test for that already.

These tests should be using colors in addition to styles, with the
losing borders being assigned red and the winning ones green. That
both makes it more clear which border has won, and also makes sure
that the color is copied to the winning position together with the
style.

~fantasai