Re: @font-face and slow downloading

Belov, Charles wrote:

> I *do* want the fallback font.  What I also want is to be able to
> specify in my user style sheet that if the download font can't download
> within x seconds that I don't want it at all.

Probably better as a general browser preference than a style sheet entry.

Another user preference option would be for the browser to open a
separate tab in the background with the downloaded font if it can't
provide it to the first tab page in a given amount of time. That would
avoid disrupting initial page interaction, but still enable to user to
view the page as intended after a delay. There will be times when the
downloaded font will be more important than at others, e.g. when it
contains characters in the page content that are not supported by any
locally installed fonts, and when a general preference that flushes font
downloads if they are not completed in a given number of seconds will be
unwelcome.

JH