Re: Positioned Layout proposal

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 12:19:17 -0400
To: shelby@coolpage.com
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 10/21/10 11:51 AM, Shelby Moore wrote:
> The constraint algorithm places each 4D relationship vector into a hash
> table, hashed on element for each of the elements in the pair of the
> relationship. It also places each derivative relationship into these hash
> tables. The size of the hash table is the combination n! / (2 * (n-2)!) =
> n * (n - 1) / 2.

OK.  So in the typical web page case of N in the thousands to hundreds
of thousands, we're talking 1e6 -- 1e10 constraints on those thousands
to hundreds of thousands of variables, correct?

And these are constraints on variables with, typically, positive reals
or reals as domains, correct?

It's not clear to me that this setup is implementable on current
hardware in a way that would actually be usable.... am I missing
something?  I have to admit that constraint solvers are not my strong
suit....

-Boris