Re: @font-face and slow downloading

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Beth Dakin <bdakin@apple.com> wrote:
> On Oct 20, 2010, at 8:52 AM, John Daggett wrote:
>
>> Ah, ok, your thinking is that there should be additional @font-face
>> syntax to specify the timeout?  Something like this?
>>
>>  @font-face {
>>    font-family: BongoTheFont;
>>    src: url(Bongo.woff);
>>    font-fallback-timeout: 5;  /* show fallback font after 5 seconds */
>>  }
>
> Something along those lines, yes. When I wrote my initial email, I did not have this in mind yet, but the more I think about it, the more I think it should be author-controlled.

At best, this should be author-hintable, but user controlled.  That's
always allowed, of course (excepting that there's not really any way
for a user to insert rules into a previously-defined @font-face
block), but I'd prefer it to be explicit.  My preference is a 0
fallback delay - I want to read text immediately, and am okay with
fonts changing as the page loads.