Re: [css-device-adaptation] New draft

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 22:02:55 +0200, Kenneth Rohde Christiansen
<kenneth.christiansen@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Apple's proposals, bring some information for zoom and magnification
>> into
>> the scripting environment.
>> window.devicePixelRatio and device-pixel-ratio selectors are quite
>> handy,
>>  target-densityDpi is a useful addition,
>> but not supported by Apple (afaik).
>

> The targetDensityDpi is half supported in WebKit trunk now, so when Apple
> ports the iOS port to use WebKit2, this should be supported
> automatically.
> We will also support this for Qt WebKit.

Could dpi values for zoom be an acceptable replacement for
target-densityDpi?

Examples:

   /* Set the zoom factor so that there is a 1-1 relationship between
physical and CSS pixels */
   @viewport {
     zoom: device-dpi
   }

   /* Set the zoom factor so that there are 160 CSS pixels per inch. */
   @viewport {
     zoom: 160dpi
   }

You would lose the possibility to do something like this:

   /* Set zoom factor so that a CSS pixel is rendered as 2x2 physical
pixels with a viewport width of 500px. */
   @viewport {
     target-densityDpi: device-dpi;
     zoom: 2;
     width: 500px;
   }

Are there important use cases for combinations of target-densityDpi and
zoom?

--
Rune Lillesveen
Senior Core Developer / Architect