Re: Positioned Layout proposal

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Sylvain Galineau
<sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:
> CSS terminology is not what I'm asking for.
> Your draft spec already tells me what the
> feature does in CSS terms.
>
> What design scenario is solved by this particular
> construct ? What is the author trying to achieve on
> the page for the user's benefit ? I could describe
> how adjoining floats can be merged in CSS terms; that
> doesn't tell anyone what scenario it's useful for.
>
> Your email below describes *how* some use-case is
> resolved by your proposal in CSS terms without
> defining what the actual use-case is.
>
> Positioning tooltips is a use-case. Ojan's scenario
> to allow the positioning of resizing icons over an
> image is a use-case. Freezing table headers is a use-case.
> These are really helpful in framing the proposal and judging
> its value.
>
> "Abspos a child above, below, or to the side of its parent"
> is not. Sorry...

I described a use-case in more detail in the email you quote.  I want
to show extra information on hover without moving the rest of the page
around (possibly overlapping other elements).

Another would be placing annotations in the margins alongside some
text - google docs does this.