Re: [css-device-adaptation] Default values for min-zoom/max-zoom and clamping ranges (was: New draft)

From: Rune Lillesveen <rune@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:20:48 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 11:47:12 +0200, Rune Lillesveen <rune@opera.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 10:33:33 +0200, Rune Lillesveen <rune@opera.com>
> wrote:
>
>> http://people.opera.com/rune/TR/ED-css-viewport-20101013/
>
> I would like to remove the "default viewport width" concept from the
> spec and have the UAs replace it with a UA stylesheet like this if they
> want a default width:
>
>    @viewport { width: desktop-width; }

I also think that the default values for min/max-zoom should be moved into
the UA stylesheet. 0.25 and 5 might be reasonable defaults for Safari and
most other mobile browsers today, but it should be up to the UA to pick
defaults.

Also the clamping ranges [1px, 10000px] for widths and [0.1, 10] for zoom
factors should be changed to accept positive values. UA specific
limitations may apply. Keeping compatibility with viewport meta can be
done by doing clamping in the translation to @viewport step instead.

--
Rune Lillesveen
Senior Core Developer / Architect