Re: [css3-text] proposed value for text-align: no-justify

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 14:01:05 -0400
To: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
CC: "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
On 10/15/10 1:48 PM, Christoph Päper wrote:
> The traditional solution is hyphenation and a common recommendation is to not justify text if you cannot do hyphenation. For that reason, UAs should be allowed to interpret ‘justify’ as ‘start’ (or ‘inherit’?) if they do not support automatic hyphenation. (None of the popular ones would do so, though.)

A lot of this depends on language, too.  Hyphenation is much more
commonly used in printed work in Russian than in English.  I just looked
around and the typical book I have in English maybe hyphenates once per
page.

What they _do_ do, though, is use non-greedy line-breaking algorithms.
Sadly, those happen to not be O(N) in paragraph length, which has been
an obstacle to them getting deployed in web UAs.

-Boris