RE: [css3-text] proposed value for text-align: no-justify

From: Belov, Charles <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 15:10:30 -0700
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Tab Atkins Jr. [mailto:jackalmage@gmail.com] wrote on October 14, 2010
2:06 PM:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Belov, Charles
> <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com> wrote:
> > I suggest the following additional item, which would primarily be
> > useful in user style sheets:
> >
> > no-justify
> >
> > A previously computed value of 'justify' is to be replaced
> with 'start'.
>
> Could you elaborate further on what this is intended to do,
> and why just saying "text-align: start" isn't sufficient?
>
> I'll note that there's no such thing as "previously computed".
> Exactly one value gets chosen as the computed value; any
> values that lost the specificity battle are ignored and forgotten.

This is an attempt to allow the user style sheet to override all website
uses of 'text-align: justify' with 'text-align: start', without having
to do this on a case-by-case basis, and without overriding 'text-align:
center'.

The use case is for an end-user who has trouble reading text which is
justified.

The goal would be to be able to code in a user style sheet:

* {
	text-align: no-justify ! important;
}

So that all justified text would become left-justified for LTR text or
right-justified for RTL text.

However, centered text would remain centered.

The existing fallback, were this not to be implemented, would be to code
in a user style sheet:

* {
	text-align: start ! important;
}

and accept that centering would be lost.

Hope this helps,
Charles Belov
SFMTA Webmaster