Re: [css3-multicol] overflow and paging?

> On Oct 14, 2010, at 7:23 AM, Shelby Moore wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> I had a slight mistake in specifying my case in my prior emails on this
>> thread, where I forgot to mention that the constraints are in the parent
>> of the multi-column container element.  A corrected example of my case
>> is:

>> column-width:125px; -moz-column-gap:3px; -webkit-column-gap:3px;
>> column-gap:3px'>
>>      ...same example content as I reported before
>>
>> In the above example, and if the block direction is vertical, currently
>> the browsers I have tested (IE6, FF3.5.x/3.6.x, latest Chrome) are not
>> adding any columns in either direction, but rather allowing the column
>> height to exceed the constrained height (as inherited from the element
>> which is the parent of the multi-column container) in violation of
>> Section
>> 8.2, thus causing a vertical scroll bar to appear on that parent
>> element.
>
> [snip]
>
> I don't see how you figure that is constraining the height of the
> multi-col DIV. The outer container is overflowing, and has no effect on
> the height of its child, unless that container is the page in paged media.
>
> From 8.2:
> "Content that extend outside _column boxes_ at the edges of the
> multi-column element is clipped according to the 'overflow' property.

[snip]

You are correct, the multi-col DIV would need a "height:100%; width:100%"
in order to be constrained.

So thus the browsers are not violating the specification.

Thus isn't the spec is wrong then? Should it ever allow the column height
to be greater than constrained height of any outer container, because
afaics the result is typographically erroneous. Note I am not referring to
the non-paging media viewport container (including <iframe> and <frame>).
Can anyone think of a valid need for that?

Thus in any case, none of the above removes the need for the
"column-overflow:inline|block", because if I constrain then the spec
currently always overflows inline (but I need block direction), and the
above code as a work around does not properly limit the column height. The
columns are overflowed (clipped with a vertical scroll bar) in the outer
box but the column height is not restricted to height of the outer box.
Thus a result that is an "abomination" of column typography, as explained
in my prior diagrams :D

And there is currently no other way to get a vertical scroll over columns
in a container, thus no way to get a correct column layout with vertical
scroll in a container.