Re: [css3-text] 'First letter' delimitation

From: Behdad Esfahbod <behdad.esfahbod@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 13:21:00 +0000
To: "Phillips, Addison" <addison@lab126.com>
CC: Simon Montagu <smontagu@smontagu.org>, John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Andrew Cunningham <lang.support@gmail.com>, style <www-style@w3.org>, wwwintl <www-international@w3.org>, intlcore <public-i18n-core@w3.org>, indic <public-i18n-indic@w3.org>, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
On 10/12/10 00:32, Phillips, Addison wrote:

>>> In theory, yes. I'm concerned that in practice there are going to
>> be
>>> lots of holes in the knowledge of particular language needs in
>> software,
>>> especially for minority languages. I'm thinking that it might be
>>> worthwhile to define a syntax by which a web author could
>> explicitly
>>> delimit a 'first letter'.
>>
>> I share your concern, but do we need an explicit syntax? A web
>> author
>> can always use <span> and style it the same as first-letter.
>
> Really? I find, increasingly, the need for grapheme cluster boundary handling, especially in JavaScript and in places like CSS styling. Styling with <span> is incredibly inconvenient and doesn't work well with generated data (where span insertion relies on automagic means).

I'm all for giving access to grapheme boundaries from CSS/JavaScript.
however, determining such boundaries should still remain the UA's job.  Lets
not design for fixing broken UAs with CSS.

My 0.02CAD,
behdad