block-in-inline-relpos-002 invalid (and was Issue 138 resolution sufficient?)

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 23:36:19 -0700
To: public-css-testsuite@w3.org
Cc: www-style@w3.org
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/block-in-inline-relpos-002.xht
and its HTML equivalent, are, as far as I can tell, invalid.

It would probably make sense if they were valid, though.

(That said, Gecko implements the current spec.)

However, the rules for float positioning in section 9.5 are very
clearly written in terms of the position of the float's containing
block, and nothing in the section on relative positioning overrides
that.

Given the description of issue-138 in the issue tracker:
http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css2.1#issue-138
I'd have hoped that it would have fixed this issue.  However, the
resolution for the issue only clarified the position of floats
contained within blocks inside a relatively positioned inline, and
didn't do anything to define relative positioning as moving floats
that are descended from a relatively positioned inline without a
block that is an ancestor of the float and descendant of the inline.

-David