Re: about the use of pixels as a unit for typography

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 10:21:17 -0700
To: Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu>, www-style@w3.org
On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 9:08 PM, Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 07:41:49AM +1300, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 7:18 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>> > Hm, ok.  What about things like border-widths?  Should those still be
>> > snapped to whole px in the actual value?
>>
>> Yes, to avoid blurry edges. I'm not sure if that's still needed with 300dpi
>> screens.
>>
>> Note that such snapping may be better done at rendering time than layout (or
>> style resolution) time. There's a set of tradeoffs there.
>
> Existing provisions for this (which I think Tab Atkins may be referring to) are
> at http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/cascade.html#actual-value

Yup, that's what I was referring to.  As far as I know,
implementations snap to whole pixels in the actual value.

I've got no particular objection to removing that; the more the value
matches what the author specified, the better, in my opinion.  I'd
want to get some additional opinions, though.  ^_^