Re: [css3-text] 'First letter' delimitation

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 09:21:54 -0700
To: "Phillips, Addison" <addison@lab126.com>
CC: Behdad Esfahbod <behdad.esfahbod@gmail.com>, Simon Montagu <smontagu@smontagu.org>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Andrew Cunningham <lang.support@gmail.com>, style <www-style@w3.org>, wwwintl <www-international@w3.org>, intlcore <public-i18n-core@w3.org>, indic <public-i18n-indic@w3.org>, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Phillips, Addison wrote:

> I think that's what I'm saying? That is, for example the CSS rule 'first-letter' should be applied to the first grapheme cluster, not to the first Unicode code point. Page authors should not have to do anything grapheme specific in their markup in order to get at the graphemes with e.g. CSS rules or JavaScript. They might need to include @lang to help the user-agent. But they shouldn't need to find and mark-up the grapheme cluster themselves.

I agree that they shouldn't need to, but I'm interested in having a
standard way to do so if automated grapheme identification fails e.g.
because the software has insufficient or inaccurate information about
the language in question. Also, I expect there to be variation in
typographic preference among language user who, for instance, include
digraphs (trigraphs, etc.) as letters in their alphabets.

JH