Re: [css3-multicol] overflow and paging?

This discussion is afaics off topic from the point of this thread I
started, yet it is important.  My reply is below, but I think it would be
useful to move it to its own thread?

>>> If you restrict the height of an element, and there are too much
>>> content to fit into the columns you specify, the default behaviour is
>>> to create new overflow columns to the right of the existing columns.
>>> This happens in both WebKit and Gecko.
>>
>> OFF TOPIC: how can one restrict the height of the content? Are you
>> sure?
>> Afaik, max-height applies to the height of the element, not the
>> height of
>> the content.
>
> What I mean is you restrict the height of the element then there will
> be text columns to that height (minus any padding), and will create as
> many columns as are needed to fit the amount of text needed. If you
> specify 3 columns it will create 3 columns to the height and width
> specified then create overflow columns to the right of the same width
> as the other columns until the content runs out.

OFF TOPIC: sorry not trying to be a pain, but I still don't understand,
and I am willing or interested to understand, if you could provide a
simple HTML+CSS example? It seems to me (not sure if I tried it), that if
you specify column-count:3, then you get 3 columns fit to the width of the
container, with any excess overflow running out the bottom of the
container.

Are you referring to this non-standard behavior in Mozilla, as documented
in the "Test 5" case at quirksmode? If yes, note that is with
column-width, not column-count. And I suggest Mozilla needs to remove that
non-standard behavior, or get it officially sanctioned with a setting to
turn it off.

http://www.quirksmode.org/css/multicolumn.html

I haven't seen that behavior in my site using column-width.  Is it because
I am setting both the width and the height of the container? Or is because
I have overflow:auto?

I really don't like undocumented behavior. Can someone from Mozilla explain?