Re: [css3-multicol] overflow and paging?

> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Shelby Moore <shelby@coolpage.com>
> wrote:
>> I am reasonably sure you still don't understand my point. Let me draw
>> from
>> diagrams to see if you can clarify if I am misunderstanding you, or vice
>> versa?  Apologies I should have drawn this in first post, as I guess
>> this
>> sort of thing isn't easy to visualize from written description.
>>
>> I am not using an <iframe>, but rather a <div style='overflow:auto;
>> column-width:xxx'> as I wrote in my opening post for this thread.  I
>> size
>> this <div>(1) such that it is height of the viewport:
>>
>> -------------
>> |           |
>> -------------
>> |   |       |
>> | 1 |   2   |
>> |   |       |
>> -------------
>>
>> Then I fill that <div> with inline content and I set the column-width on
>> the <div>, so then I have multiple columns displayed within that
>> pane(1).
>>
>> The problem is that that I expect the columns in pane(1) to be paginated
>> to the height of pane(1), so there will be page breaks __WITHIN__
>> pane(1).
>> There are no page breaks for the viewport, because the panes(1) and (2)
>> never are taller than the viewport.  I have no way to make the inline
>> content less tall, because the border between pane(1) and pane(2), is
>> draggable by the user.
>>
>> In other words, I expect the following in pane(1) where my inline
>> content
>> is in alphabetical order:
>>
>> -------------
>> |           |
>> -------------
>> |A D|       |
>> |B E|   2   |
>> |C F|       |
>> -------------
>>  G J
>>  H K
>>  I L
>>
>>  M P
>>  N Q
>>  O R
>>
>> But instead now I erroneously see:
>>
>> -------------
>> |           |
>> -------------
>> |A J|       |
>> |B K|   2   |
>> |C L|       |
>> -------------
>>  D M
>>  E N
>>  F O
>>  G P
>>  H Q
>>  I R
>
> Ah, now I see what you're saying.
>
> Okay, yes, this sort of thing has been brought up before, and will
> likely be solved in a manner similar to what you're suggested - a
> "paged" overflow method that flows excess content into another pane
> [...]

I did not suggest that.  There is no need to put the overflowed content
into another pane, because my pane has scrolling (overflow:auto).  I can
see all the content by scrolling, that is not the problem.

The problem I want solved is much simpler, fundamental, and thus I expect
more prevalent.

The problem is the content is in the wrong order.  The columns should be
formatted as if there is a page size _______WITHIN________ the pane equal
to the height of the pane.  Please look again at my diagrams above and see
that I want the order of the content to be correct.

My HTML code for the above hypothetical example looks like this:

where 'X' is the width of one lettered unit.

The problem is the columns are computed as if the page height is the
height of the content.  Whereas, what I want is that the columns will be
computed with page height = clientHeight of the container <div>.