Re: [css3-values] missing units relative to current viewport position

> On Oct 11, 2010, at 10:34 AM, Shelby Moore wrote:
>
>> The "vh" does not solve the case where I currently have to use
>> JavaScript
>> to set the height of my element from the current position of the element
>> within the viewport to the bottom of the viewport.
>>
>> I have a header which does not have a fixed height (not even as a
>> percentage), then below this I have two container panes side-by-side in
>> the single row of a table.
>
> This sounds like something that flexbox could solve, no?
>

> http://www.xanthir.com/document/document.php?id=615d486a4dd75e8f4ae644eaa02af778211809483881e4964e66c29d5618b7ae457190b450c9e53abee05aa2e590cefc8100663c8d91328a1bd786ab9f1e7f2b
> (Tab likes really long URLs)
>
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-flexbox/

Note I didn't read the second link above.

I didn't read it all, but it appears that the proposal at the first link
may solve it, assuming that the upper box that spans the entire width is
allowed to size to its content, while the lower side-by-side boxes are
allowed to size to the remaining height of the viewport.

I did some incomplete work on a more complex FlexCanvas algorithm that
attempted to support overlapping row and column type flex layout (when I
was trying to figure out how to generalize CoolPage's pixel placement to
flexible viewports):

http://goldwetrust.up-with.com/technology-f8/computers-t112.htm#2096

Your proposal seems to be more concrete and workable. I have not
contemplated the performance and implementation ramifications.

Thanks for the reply.  I didn't really expect any solution for this in
near-term, but it is maybe helpful for the future that I become aware of
your proposal.