Re: [css3-multicol] overflow and paging?

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 10:14:52 -0700
To: shelby@coolpage.com
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Shelby Moore <shelby@coolpage.com> wrote:
> If I am understanding you correctly, I think you misunderstood my point?
>
> The problem I described is where I have set the container element to be
> smaller than the viewport height (using JavaScript until CSS Units are
> available).
>
> The problem is that the multi-column content in that container is *MUCH*
> taller than the container, so I have to scroll the container from bottom
> to top as I read right to next column. The problem is not the height of
> the container, but rather that the multi-column layout is not paginating
> *WITHIN* the container to the height of the container.
>
> This also causes the end of the content to be in the first "page", and the
> middle of the content to not be on the first "page", where "page" means
> the (clientHeight) height of the container element.
>
> Does that clarify the problem, or do I need to clarify further?

Ah, looks like I did misunderstand you.  I skipped over the part where
you clarified that the multicol itself was taller than the parent.

The problem seems similar, however.  In ordinary cases, you can just
not do that - don't set a child to be taller than its parent.  In the
particular case you're mentioning, where the parent is an <iframe>,
the solution should be similar to what I already mentioned - using
javascript, measure the size of the iframe then set max-height on the
columnar element appropriately.