[css3-text] 'First letter' delimitation (was: Indic Inputs)

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 10:51 PM, Andrew Cunningham
> <lang.support@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Not sure how that would translate to a CSS rule. For instance the word
>> for Dinka in the Dinka language starts with the letter "Th", not the
>> letter "T" which is a different letter.

> Knowledge about digraphs should be communicated implicitly by the
> @lang attribute, and appropriately handled by the browser in its
> "grapheme cluster" grouping.

In theory, yes. I'm concerned that in practice there are going to be
lots of holes in the knowledge of particular language needs in software,
especially for minority languages. I'm thinking that it might be
worthwhile to define a syntax by which a web author could explicitly
delimit a 'first letter'.

JH