Re: [css3-text] text-transform values should be grouped

On 2010/10/08 11:40, Koji Ishii wrote:
>> And I think that we should add "halfwidth" for converting fullwidth
>> characters to halfwidth characters. Then, that will be:
>
> I understand that is very logical proposal.
>
> However, I think CSS should focus on where use case exists, and where it is a stylistic issue.
>
> The "fullwidth" value makes sense because it can make alphabets and digits upright in vertical text flow. But I think there's room to cut this if writing-mode spec makes more progress and if it covers the use case better than this property does.
>
> If you have use case for "halfwidth", or other use cases for "fullwidth", would you please share with us?

How about for user style sheet? Most Japanese news sites which are owned
by newspaper companies are using fullwidth alphabets and numbers by some
reasons. But they are not in Western fonts, but some users may want to
display them by Western fonts which are more beautiful than Japanese fonts.

--
Masayuki Nakano <masayuki@d-toybox.com>
Manager, Internationalization, Mozilla Japan.