Re: [css3-ruby] [css3-text] Position values and before/after definitions in LR vertical writing mode

From: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 22:37:51 -0400
To: timeless <timeless@gmail.com>
Cc: Stephen Zilles <szilles@adobe.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On 7 October 2010 19:38, timeless <timeless@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> Typically, Latin is of course written down the spine of a book.
> There's one book [0] which for some reason insists on writing Latin
> *up* the spine of the book (without any Hebrew or other RTL
> language...). If I can find a picture of it, I'll provide it later.

I'm not so sure if this is true for spines. A couple of days ago, when
I was in the library browsing through the shelves, I suddenly realized
that *a lot* of French books have their titles running up the spine.
It was not just a one or two books, but virtually every book on the
shelves. So I assume whether titles run up or down the spine has
little to do with the writing system's directionality per se but
rather just arbitrary typographic traditions in the country the book
is published.

So I suppose how spines are done is probably not too useful for the discussion.

--
cheers,
-ambrose