Re: Ruby proposal for XSL 2.0

From: Tony Graham <Tony.Graham@MenteithConsulting.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 01:44:52 +0100 (IST)
To: member-japanese-layout-en@w3.org, member-i18n-core@w3.org, www-style@w3.org, w3c-xsl-fo-sg@w3.org
On Tue, February 2, 2010 4:09 pm, Tony Graham wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29 2010 07:52:16 +0000, rolandsteiner@google.com wrote:
>> ad "4.3.10 ruby-mode": if the ruby markup follows 3.4.2, then I don't
>> believe
>> this attribute is necessary, since if the user doesn't want ruby texts
>> intrude on each other, s/he can just put them in separate <ruby>
>> elements.
>
> You may be onto something there.  I'll have to think about it.

If they were in separate <ruby> elements, then you're losing part of the
meaning of the markup, and it seems to me that marking it up as separate
<ruby> might affect the correct presentation of the jukugo-ruby at line
breaks and would break the requirement that "jukugo-ruby and its base
characters cannot be the subject of inter-character space expansion for
line adjustment" (from text above
http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/NOTE-jlreq-20090604/#fig2_3_28-en).

Regards,

Tony Graham                         Tony.Graham@MenteithConsulting.com
Director                                  W3C XSL FO SG Invited Expert
Menteith Consulting Ltd                               XML Guild member
XML, XSL and XSLT consulting, programming and training
Registered in Ireland - No. 428599   http://www.menteithconsulting.com
xmlroff XSL Formatter                               http://xmlroff.org
xslide Emacs mode                  http://www.menteith.com/wiki/xslide
Unicode: A Primer                               urn:isbn:0-7645-4625-2