Re: [css3-images] Proposed Gradients changes

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 16:48:14 -0800
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@adobe.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> If Filters are the primary benefit of duplicating background capabilities inside gradient images, then please enlighten me about how that works. Is there a Filters draft that explains how images are used in filters? I thought CSS Filters were going to use SVG functionality. Doesn't SVG have it's own way of generating gradients that is as complex as anyone could ever want?

There is not yet a draft for such, though I believe that one will be
forthcoming relatively soon.

>From discussions, I believe that CSS Filters will expose the
functionality of SVG filters in a functional manner, so that you can
provide source images and pass them through filters (these source
images may be actual images or discrete layers of elements, like all
the backgrounds or all the text or whatever).