Layers. Z-index

From: Ruslan Fayzrakhmanov <ruslanrf@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 14:17:16 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
Hello.

I think that now it is quite difficult to talk about 3rd dimention. Because
actually the z-index and Stacking Contexts, they just used to order elements
for drawing and not to form a real layers. As I understand the current
"layers" can be represented only as a tree of Stacking Contexts.

The problem is that there are no global ordering of the Stacking Contexts.

I am working on the representation of the visualized information and
actually now I am interested in visual representation of web pages.

width:...;height:...">...</div>
width:...;height:...">...</div>
width:...;height:...">...</div>

In this example, for instance we cannot say that element A and B on the same
layer 0. Because then we have to say that A1 and A2 at the layer 0 as well.
So, if we want to define the elements A1 and A2 as elements of different
layers we have to assert that elements A and B are in different layers and
layer of B is above elements A, A1 and A2.

Do you have any idea about how we can represent the web page as a set of
boxes in the 3d space?

--
The best regards
  Ruslan