Re: [css3-content] [css21-content] Syntax for adding alternative text for inserted image

On 25/11/2010 19:31, Øyvind Stenhaug wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 16:05:17 +0100, François REMY
> <fremycompany_msn@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>
>> Suppose you have something like that
>> <books>
>> <book new="true">My new book</book>
>> <book new="false">My second book</book>
>> <book new="false">My first book</book>
>> </books>
>> You would like to write something like
>> book[new="true"]::before {
>> content: image(url('new.gif),'New: ');
>> }
>
> As far as I can see the css3-content draft[1] already allows for this to
> be accomplished, without the image() part.
>
> book[new="true"]::before {
> content: url(new.gif), 'New: ';
> }

This disappoints me.  If the book is new, chances are I want to know
about it even when the CSS file doesn't load.

> (At least on the Web, I go by the rule that a document should be usable
> with (author) styling disabled. But it also seems clear that the specs
> acknowledge the possibility of decorative text strings.)

If they're decorative then they don't need alt text.  Unless the text
itself is supposed to be art rather than literature; anyone have any
examples beyond Hixie's cat sig?

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net