Re: [css3-backgrounds] Should a non-zero border-radius create a new stacking context ?

On Nov 19, 2010, at 12:43 PM, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:

> Without the creation of a new stacking context, one can construct odd scenarios where a relatively positioned child is clipped to the curve while elements
> outside its parent are layered in z-order underneath it. (see attached testcase in latest Firefox 4 Beta).

How is that any odder than the same situation where a relatively positioned child is clipped to a straight side or sharp corner.

> It's not  clear to me why this is useful or desirable.

See this attached case, where the sharp-cornered clipping seems inexplicable to someone who doesn't know the mechanics of why it's happening.