Re: a new proposal for grid layout, derived from MSFT's

Le 18/11/10 00:02, Phil Cupp a écrit :

> Hi Daniel,
>
> Definitely it would be great to have you as an editor and
> contributing to the spec.  There are few bugs in the current
> draft that need fixed that impact its readability... we can list
> you as an editor when those updates are made (soon).
>
> Couple of comments on named lines...  I'm wondering if its more
> natural to name the regions rather than the lines?  Are there
> scenarios where named lines stand out as the clear winner over
> named regions?  Do you feel like there is room for both or would
> the lines + the grid-position property be a replacement for
> naming a rectangular region of the grid using something like the
> grid-template property that Tab proposed?

IMHO, and after chats with designers, I think names are much more
important that indexes. I think a compromise could be the following
one: define region names based on lines or indexes and make each
region specify its region name instead of grid-row/grid_column/
span. In other terms, move the regions specification from each
region to the grid itself and then use only a grid-position property
on each region. That way, we can harmonize everything.
It's early here, I just fell from the bed and I don't know if I'm
very clear. Let me know if it's not :-)

> Some other minor nits:
>
> 1. Seems like there should be an implicit start line instead of
> needing to define a 0px offset for a named one.

I don't think so. The first line could be for instance at 20px from
left... More important, we need to think about ltr/rtl. Do we need
to think in terms of left/right and top/bottom or start/end and such?

> 2. One of my co-workers, Erik who is CC'd, suggested that you
> could benefit from multiple names on a single line to avoid
> coupling together adjacent grid items (because they would share a
> grid line of the same name making it impossible to split them
> apart without updating at least one of the items).  He'll reply
> with more of his thoughts.

That's an interesting idea.

</Daniel>