Re: [css3-2d-transforms] Interop: matrix() values e,f <number> or <length>

From: Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@behdad.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 20:41:20 -0500
To: Brendan Kenny <bckenny@gmail.com>
CC: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On 11/17/10 20:32, Brendan Kenny wrote:
> I just mean the matrix is a manipulation of a space, which must have
> units because you are specifying points to be transformed using them.

Maybe you can be bothered to explain *how* a matrix is a manipulation of a
space?  I *think* what you mean is that a 2d point (x,y) can be thought of as
a 3d point (x,y,1) and then a 2d translate can be thought of as a 3d shear.
This is all mathematically nice and all, except that the "1" you added needs a
unit.  (x,y,1) makes no sense.  (x,y,1px) does, but it would be far from a
general extension of (x,y).  That's what Dave referred to when he said "CSS
doesn't define pixels as more basic than other units."

behdad