Re: Transforms on inline elements

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 10:23 PM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:

> One approach would be to simply draw the two halves of a split block as if
> the transform had been applied before the box was split.

Couldn't the same approach be taken for inlines? This just sounds like a
third option.

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 10:30 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> On 11/16/10 1:23 AM, Simon Fraser wrote:
>
>> I think handling transforms on split block element is easier, because they
>> are not irregularly shaped
>>

> Is that true, though?  How are blocks splitting across columns any more
> regularly shaped than inlines splitting across lines?

I think that transforming using the bounding box of the individual boxes is
the simplest solution. It does what the developer wants in most cases and
has well-defined behavior in the cases where it has unexpected behavior.
Also, I think in the cases where it has unexpected behavior, it's relatively
straightforward to understand what's going on.

It doesn't seem like there was any opposition to this approach in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Aug/0615.html, although
Boris was maybe skeptical it was actually less confusing.

Ojan