Re: @font-feature-values rule syntax

But that's just what we're trying to avoid. John said:

"... requiring the use of @font-face rules to access alternates is somewhat cumbersome. It makes sense for general defaults for a given font but not for all use cases. For each possible combination of alternates, authors would need to create an @font-face rule rather than just changing a simple property setting."

And you lose fallback functionality. With John's proposal, one can create a single variant name (e.g. "swishy") and map several different font family's alternates to it. One font's "swash 1" might be equivalent to another font's "swash 3", so it's convenient to just refer to an arbitrary name that stands for that alternate in whichever font one has.

-Christopher