Re: [css-selectors] Invalid selectors should not cause the entire group to be dropped

From: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 11:51:48 +0100
To: Peter Beverloo <peter@lvp-media.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org, annevk@opera.com
Le 15/11/10 11:02, Peter Beverloo a écrit :

> The Selectors (Level 3) module defines[1] that a single invalid selector
> in a group is enough to drop the entire rule. While this was fine
> before, I believe this behavior should be revised: invalid selectors
> should not invalidate the entire selector-group anymore. Instead, they
> could be changed to ":not(*)", similarly to Media Queries[2] which
> changes invalid queries to "not all".

I tend to disagree. One of the big changes that happened a while ago
in rendering engines was the generation of one CSSStyleRule only for
a group of selectors instead of one CSSStyleRule for each selector in
the group attached to the rule. In my opinion, one of the corollary
effects is that it confirms an invalid selector invalidates a group
of selectors containing it.

>    1) In May, Daniel Glazman pleaded for[3] Microsoft, Opera and
> Apple/Google to add a vendor prefix to the ::selection pseudo-element.
> Anne van Kesteren pointed out[4] the exact problem I'd like to address:
> a separate rule would be needed for each of the selectors.

You can't have the butter AND the money for the butter. The whole thing
is a compromise, always a compromise, and I think that changing now a
13 years old behaviour is *very* risky.

</Daniel>