Re: [css3-background] New use case for background-position-x (&y!)

On Nov 10, 2010, at 3:29 PM, Lee Kowalkowski <lee.kowalkowski@googlemail.com> wrote:

> This should happen without the need for additional use cases, it
> should just fall under a "you never know" category, after all, you
> already have use cases for the compound properties, you've already
> justified the existence of a capability or behaviour.  It's just
> quicker and easier to add them instead of debating every last one.
> Who cares if one is redundant, and could that ever be proven?

I think that the majority of the Working Group would probably disagree with that. There are implementation costs for every new property and/or value, and a lot of time spent considering how these might all interact with other properties in unexpected ways.

>> Don't you think they would be useful for foreground images too?
>
> Sprites would be useful for foreground images, absolutely, but
> background-position would be useless for foreground images.  You may
> think this is twisting words, but I'm trying to stay on topic, which
> is background-position, not sprites.
>
> I only gave sprites as an example to demonstrate a genuine shortcoming
> of this specification.

No, most of your objections were to the fact that we didn't consider spriting to be a worthy use case for the backgrounds spec, and our use of words like "unintended" to mean that it is not our intension to write a backgrounds spec in order to enable sprite use, and that we considered such use to be a hack. I think we are all willing to listen to non-sprite reasons for splitting the property into two X/Y properties.

> If you don't like my example, I'll try to find
> a better one (but it will be an example, not a use case - you
> presumably already have a use case), but I'll need the original use
> cases for background-position (the ones that were instrumental in the
> acceptance of background-position originally).

I think it is fairly obvious that the main  idea behind image-based backgrounds is to take a single image and position and/or tile it in different ways. Using it to seemingly show different images when there is really just one, by selectively hiding the majority of the (actually single) image is really a very different use that was not and is not a consideration of the design of the "show an image in the background and maybe tile it" properties and how they were expected/intended to be used.

> The insistence of a use case for this is a real faux pas, because I
> feel you'd rather spend time 'bickering' about it, than providing a
> complete API.

Naw. Bickering has wasted chunks of my day, but specs and implementations take much longer. The working group always needs use cases.