Re: [css3-background] New use case for background-position-x (&y!)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 15:29:14 -0800
To: Lee Kowalkowski <lee.kowalkowski@googlemail.com>
Cc: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org
On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Lee Kowalkowski
<lee.kowalkowski@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Image spriting is unrelated to tiling, typically no-repeat is
> specified, so there is no tiling of the background.

This is "typical" only because it is *required*.  Using
background-position to do spriting prevents you from tiling the
sprited image.  That's a random and unintentional limitation; that's
the sort of thing I and Brad are talking when we say that the use of
background-position for tiling is accidental.  There is *no reason*
that spriting and tiling should be impossible to use together.

It's a bad use.  It's hacky, and very limited for incidental reasons.
It's also the only way to do this sort of thing right now, so authors
(like you, Brad, and I) still use it.  But it's not something we want
to encourage, and it's not something we want to spend effort making
easier.

But I'm repeating myself, so shrug.