Re: [css3-background] New use case for background-position-x (&y!)

From: Lee Kowalkowski <lee.kowalkowski@googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 13:57:20 +0000
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On 08/11/2010, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> On 11/08/2010 01:36 AM, Lee Kowalkowski wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I give my playing card elements class names like "diamonds rank-10", I
>> want to apply background-y depending on suit and background-x
>> depending on rank, using _different_ class names.

> All the use cases I've seen so far are improved hacks for image
> sprites. Which is something I think should be addressed directly,
> not by making such hacks easier. IMO.

You're dismissing this technique as a hack?  Do you have any
justification for that?  I don't understand, is there a technique that
you consider to be a non-hack for image sprites?  Or are you
suggesting that all image sprites are hacks and therefore not worthy
of consideration?

How would it be addressed directly?  Please elaborate.

>From my perspective, background-position is a shorthand property
without its individual counterparts, this is bizarre, they should be
there for completeness.

They way I'm currently seeing it, the "hack" is having to specify 52
rules, where I only want 17.

--
Lee
www.webdeavour.co.uk