From: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 29, 2010 5:51 PM
To: "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news@terrainformatica.com>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [css3-flex] calc(flex) and concept of free space.

>> And what be the name of this entity? If positive
>> it is "free space" if negative then "over constrained space"
>> or "overflowed space"? Something like that?
>
> It's just called "free space".  That may not be a perfect name, but
> it's only used in explanations, so shrug.  I could certainly use a
> different word if necessary.

Ok, fuzzy but let it be "free space".

>> So you say that here
>>
>>  A {  width: calc(100px + 10%); }
>>
>> 100px participates in min-content-width calculations, and
>> here
>>  B {  width: calc(100px + 10fx); }
>>
>> it is not?
>
> I have no idea what you are talking about here.

Say you have a container with horizontal
block flow and overflow: auto and
with these two children:

   <A width:calc(100px + 1%)  />
   <B width:calc(100px + 1fx)  />

Question: what is the minimal width
of the div container that will trigger h-scrollbar
to appear? In other words what is min-intrinsic width
of its content?

The same question about this:
   <A width:calc(100px + 0%)  />
   <B width:calc(100px + 0fx)  />

>> Say here:
>> B {  width: calc(100px + 0fx); }
>> 100px is that "preferred" width? And so final width can take any value
>> either less or over that 100px?
>
> That length is not flexible.

That is what I suspected.

So intrinsic width of this div

  <a  width: calc(100px + 0.0001fx) />

is  zero.  And intrinsic width of this one

  <a  width: calc(100px + 0fx) />

is 100px.

Correct?

If "yes" then here:

  <a  width: calc(100px + 1px/100% * 1fx) />

all its width values except some in the middle
will cause horizontal scrollbar to appear suddenly?
So all this setup is dependent on bit capacity.
Or did I miss something again?

--
Andrew Fedoniouk

http://terrainformatica.com