Re: Box Reordering

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 12:29:08 -0700
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>, James Robinson <jamesr@chromium.org>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>

On May 25, 2010, at 10:55 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

> think there is a strong need for box reordering, based on my own
> experience as an author.  I think the need is particularly strong in
> applications, but still mildly useful in documents.  However, I'm
> willing to admit that CSS might not be the correct level for this.
> XSLT has its own problems (namely, being and requiring XML), but
> perhaps some other solution can be created for this.  The feature is
> independent of the other flexbox-related features, at least.

I wonder if it is the ability to set an arbitrary index number that
causes the most pain for implementation? Would something like 'move-to
(start | end | before | after | left | right | top | bottom) be any
better? I imagine that would handle most of the use cases for CSS
reordering. If two elements had the same thing (e.g. 'move-to
(start)'), it could fall back to source order to determine which came
first.

'move-to(before)' and 'move-to(top)' in lr tb languages would move the
element to be in the first child position, but would not guarantee it
was actually above the other siblings.