Re: [css-3 colors] Transparent backgrounds

On May 24, 2010, at 10:09 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> On 5/24/10 12:57 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:
>> The main thing I have wanted to use transparent viewport backgrounds for
>> is iframe viewports, to blend with the content that holds the iframe.
>
> Gecko makes iframe viewports transparent by default.  So does webkit (at least in Safari and Chrome, though the Safari version over here has a nasty flicker of white before painting the thing behind the iframe sometimes).  Iframes seem to be transparent by default in Opera too.
>
> It's probably worth specifying this (perhaps in the HTML specification?).

Good idea. And since a frameset document can appear inside an iframe, it should also be transparent by default (or at least transparency to be set on it). I haven't tested this recently, but I think Webkit at least does not allow transparent backgrounds for framesets/frames.