Re: Suggested text for 'column-span'

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 15:09:19 -0400
To: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 5/20/10 2:41 PM, David Hyatt wrote:
> The above model would be very easy to implement in WebKit.

Would it, though?  The existing block-inside-inline implementation in
Gecko is pretty complex (especially in order to handle dynamic changes
efficiently).  WebKit's approach to the dynamic change issue seems to be
to just mishandle them in various cases [1].  There are also issues with
generated content in WebKit [2].  And issues with containing blocks [3].
  So if the "easy to implement" claim is based on analogy with
block-in-inline, I don't buy it, sorry.  My experience is that getting
block-inside-inline right is a huge pain.

-Boris

All svn links below are for rev 1083; I don't know how to get
test.csswg.org to link to a particular rev

[1]
http://test.csswg.org/svn/contributors/mozilla/incoming/reftests/ib-split/remove-from-split-inline-2.xht
for example

[2]
http://test.csswg.org/svn/contributors/mozilla/incoming/reftests/ib-split/insert-into-split-inline-12.xht
at least and the weird whitespace in this testcase:

   <head>
       #i { display: inline; border: 2px solid; }
       #i::after { display: block; content: "Four"; }
   </head>

[3]
http://test.csswg.org/svn/contributors/bzbarsky/submitted/css2.1/visudet/anonymous-block-not-containing-block-001.xhtml