Re: Selectors, vendor prefixes (again...) and IE9

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 11:09:44 -0400
To: Fran├žois REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
CC: www-style@w3.org
On 5/18/10 10:58 AM, Fran├žois REMY wrote:
> True. But do we agree it is not a pseudo-element either ?
> ::selection seems to be a syntax, there's no need to make
> it match any reality in term of DOM, is there ?

The concept of "pseudo-element" is a syntactic concept, no?  What each
one does is defined in a one-off way, and doesn't have to be defined in
terms of the DOM at all.  There are various extension pseudo-elements
supported in various browsers that have nothing to do with the DOM (even
in the limited way that first-letter, first-line, before, after do).

-Boris