On 5/17/10 3:34 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>>   <!DOCTYPE html>
>>
>> Every single browser I have here (IE8, recent Webkit, recent Gecko, Opera
>> 10.5) creates two rows (and in fact two tables, as a slightly more careful
>> testcase shows) in this case, not one table with one row.
>
> Right, in my ideal world that would create a single table.  Abspos
> should be treated exactly as display:none for the purpose of the table
> algo.

Again, what makes abspos special here?  Should float also be thus
treated in the above case?  What about any future out of flows we may
introduce (e.g. things repositioned via advanced layout?)?

> * the top inner edge of the padding box of the table-row of the first
> table-cell box following the element

OK.  So the top padding edge of the table-row of the first table-cell
box following the element, right?  Guessing at what you meant by "inner
edge"; or did you mean the content edge instead of the padding edge?

> * the top inner edge of the padding box of the table-row of the first
> table-cell box preceding the element
> * the top inner edge of the padding box of the table the element is in.

Which of the two boxes that the table generates are we talking about here?

> I think this properly covers cases where, frex, you have the abspos
> between two table-rows.

I'm not sure it does; in that case it'll put the element lined up with
the top of the table (for whatever definition of "table").  Unless
you're defining "following" in a non-obvious way?

It's not quite clear to me whether this does sane things with
vertical-align either, but it probably just doesn't matter.

-Boris